Saturday, May 17, 2008

Thistle Do Nicely


It had been quite warmish in London, so when I stepped off the plane in Edinburgh in my denim shorts, light blouse, cardi and thongs, I was in for a rude shock weather-wise. I knew Scotland would be colder than London, but I hadn't expected this.

I whined and moaned at Jessica all the way to our hostel. I had little faith in her sense of direction as she led me, saying, "I think it's just up this way.... this next turn... oh no, maybe the next one..." - a few choice words flew out of my mouth at this point. It was my chilled bones talking. She actually got us there pretty quickly and directly, as Jessica had stayed at Budget Backpackers in the GrassMarket district twice before.

It was around 9:00pm as we wandered the streets, so we saw quite a few tour groups heading out for their graveyard tours. Edinburgh is one of the world's most haunted cities. It's no bloody wonder... the whole country has some pretty gruesome history, but more on that later.

On the way to our hostel, Jessica pointed out one of the best named stores I've ever seen - 'Thistle Do Nicely' - ha! It was a gift store, stocking tartan bits and pieces mostly. There are a number of gems in the way of store names over here, actually. Another of my faves was a kitchy little store called 'The Mutt's Nuts' and back in London, near where Jessica works is a falafel store called 'Just Falafs' - cool.

Once we checked in and showered, we went in search of a good coffee store and some desert, only to be turned away by every single place as they were closing up... by then it was close to 11pm, but come on!! This is a major city, people!!! This was quite a hilarious trip out as I had not packed well for the weather, and my only jumper was still drying after a wash... we should have taken a picture...

When our coffee planned foiled, we were forced to go home to bed. It was good to get a good sleep and revive for the next day when we planned to shop and visit Edinburgh Castle!

1 comment:

april said...

Sounds like you are having a great time sista! I love reading all about your adventures! How much fun!!! All is well here, a little busier than usual with the new little addition. Nothing that this stepford can't handle (hehe) NOT!!!
Have a really great time and talk soon, miss your guts!